11 December 2011

Sunday Morning

Last Sunday changed my life forever. Around 5:40 in the morning I noticed fluid seeping down my leg. After much consideration I realized it was my water leaking and not me uncontrollably peeing myself. I called the midwife at the hospital and she said to take a shower, eat breakfast and then come in. I lied back down and the cramping began. It wasn't severe and there was no pattern or consistency. I kept brushing it off and closing my eyes. Meanwhile my husband was violently ill in the bathroom with what was either food poisoning from dinner the night before or a stomach bug. I won't go into what was going on with his body but you can use your imagination. I let him know I might be in labor and he tried his hardest to pull himself together. There was nothing we could do to fix him though so once my contractions became strong enough I called my sister. She came to my rescue and Matt stayed home wishing he were the one driving me to the hospital. I told him that even if I were having the baby that day it would take hours and hours so not to worry about missing much. We got to the hospital around 8:00 or 8:30 am. I filled out paperwork, got asked a bunch of questions and was hooked up to monitors. By this time the pain grew in intensity and in frequency. The doctor came in to see me and said she wasn't going to bother checking how dilated I was since at my last appointment I was 3 cm. I was relieved to hear that as soon as I said the word they would administer the epidural. I wanted to wait until things became too much to handle on my own before I got it because even though they assured me it would not wear off by the time I started pushing I was cautious of that. It didn't take long until I asked for it. My sister was on the phone with Matt giving him updates about what was taking place. I was really nervous about getting the epidural and my body was shaking uncontrollably. I knew I was suppose to sit as still as possible and this made it even harder to stop. The nurse was great though and helped calm me down through it all. They said it would take 10-20 minutes for it to kick in. I got really nauseous and told them I was going to be sick. The nurse held a bag and I threw up. The sick feeling went away. They checked to see how dilated I was and I was at 7 cm. My mom arrived and my sister continued to update Matt. Some interval of time ticked by, it could have been 10, 15 or 30 minutes, I don't know but the pain was then unbearable. I started to feel a burning sensation and knew things were progressing pretty fast. The doctor checked me again and said, "Oh, yep, there's her head!" I couldn't believe it. "Does that mean it's time to push?" I asked. Sure enough it was. They prepared me by having nurses hold my completely numb legs. The doctor told me to push when the contractions came along. I really didn't know how to and had no urge. I couldn't feel anything below the waist (thankfully!) so this was very difficult. Basically it was like doing a sit up though. A very painful sit up. They got Matt on the phone and I let him know she was on her way. He promised to get there as soon as he could. I knew he felt terrible and I did wish he was there but I was on a mission to get my baby out. 20 minutes later at 11:09 am she was in my arms. It was so strange and unreal to finally hold her and see her face. I talked to Matt again and gave him the news. By this time he managed to work up the strength to call his mom and she was by his side with crackers and Pepto Bismol. My mom cut the cord and they cleaned the baby up. She was nice and swaddled as his dad arrived. Soon after that Matt and his mom made it. He held her for a bit before needing to run to the bathroom again. We both were a bit disappointed that he wasn't there. Some things are beyond your control and I guarantee they would have made him leave the room anyway. The whole process went so smoothly and was considerably easy. The labor and delivery staff were wonderful and so supportive. Honestly labor was not how I anticipated. There was so much I expected and definitely a big part I didn't anticipate (my husband not being there) but I flew threw it. It wasn't nearly as emotional as I thought it would be either. I guess it all passed so quickly that I didn't have much time to feel anything other than pain. I feel so proud of myself for getting through it. Even though the circumstances for our family were not ideal the day she was born we certainly have been making it up to her everyday this past week. On top of everything we have a healthy, beautiful, happy baby and there is nothing more we could ask for.

28 Thoughts :

Jazz December 11, 2011 at 2:20 PM  

Oh no, what a shame your husband couldn't be there :(
At least your little baby has an interesting story to listen to when she's older;)

I can't even express how gorgeous she is! I love the photo where you are holding her and the one where your husband is holding her and she has a little smile, so cute!

And the headband is so cute, fashionista to be?


Jazz xo

Marjorie December 11, 2011 at 2:31 PM  

Congrats! Sounds like it went so smoothly and quickly :)

Caiti December 11, 2011 at 2:54 PM  

She is so perfect! I am sorry your husband had to miss it! It must have killed him. But, like you said some things just cannot be helped. At least you'll have a funny story for her. At the end of the day all that matters is that she's here! Congrats again!!!

Sarah December 11, 2011 at 4:18 PM  

Wow, what a story! Great job mama, you were amazing! I love reading people's birth stories, but I don't think I've ever heard of the dad having to miss out on the birth because he was sick. I'm soooo sorry about that, but it sounds like both you and him have some great relatives who stepped in to help you guys. Congratulations! Beautiful pictures!

Kristin December 11, 2011 at 5:16 PM  

Wow, besides your hubby not being there which is a bummer, it sounds like your labor and delivery went perfectly! And you look amazing for having just given birth!! Enjoy this time with your precious little newborn!

Jilean December 11, 2011 at 6:16 PM  

She is so beautiful! That will definitely be a fun story to tell her when she's older! So sorry he wasn't there...

Lacey December 11, 2011 at 6:21 PM  

She's beautiful!! I'm sorry your husband was sick and couldn't be there, but you all look very happy and well now. Your labor was super quick for it being your first time, that's awesome!

marie December 11, 2011 at 6:25 PM  

You are awesome! My husband barely made it to our son's birth because he was in another city and was flying home that day, I was early.

I think your attitude will take you far in parenting. It continues to surprise you and there is only so much you can plan for.

Congratulations on such a sweet baby girl.

Shannon December 11, 2011 at 7:12 PM  

she is SO presh!!! :) you did a great job - and you SHOULD be proud!! you have washed away some of my own fears of childbirth - so THANK YOU for sharing your story...the epidural part still totally freaks me out...lol :)

Rose December 11, 2011 at 8:44 PM  

She is absolutely precious! I love the picture of her grinning in her dad's arms :)

Jenny Eisen December 11, 2011 at 9:17 PM  

I can't believe you had her that fast! You are so lucky! Ha ha. Congrats again girly!

Shannon December 11, 2011 at 9:22 PM  

WOW. That stinks that your husband couldn't be there, but it sounds like your labor went pretty smooth and in the end, you have a gorgeous little girl.

(Taylor has those striped pajamas too!)

(That last picture looks JUST like you.)

Venassa December 11, 2011 at 10:02 PM  

I know everyone says all babies are gorgeous but she really is. I love that adorable face.

That sucks that Matt couldn't be there. What a rotten day to get the stomach bug. At least you didn't let it get you down. It sounds like you did amazing though. I wasn't scared at all for my epidural because my contractions were horrible and I just wanted them to stop. I was going through one as they were doing it so I was distracted.

I don't think I said it yet but congrats!! I hope your first week with the baby was nice and easy on you.

momnextdoor December 12, 2011 at 12:45 PM  

You have a beautiful family! Congratulations!!

Katie December 12, 2011 at 12:57 PM  

I'm so glad to hear that your experience went as well as possible! I'm so sorry your husabnd was soo sick. He'll definitely be there for the next one, right :-)! She is seriously soooo adorable!

AEG December 12, 2011 at 2:37 PM  

Congrats! Only a 5 hour labor? I hope I'm that lucky one day!
She's adorable! Congrats again!

sabrina December 12, 2011 at 4:53 PM  

how precious!!! congrats!!

sorry to hear your hubby wasn't there! next time ;)

LOVE MELISSA:) December 12, 2011 at 4:57 PM  

I got chills from your post. I am sorry your husband was sick! I am so excited for you and can't wait for you to document your journey with her. She is so cute!!

Denise December 12, 2011 at 6:34 PM  

She's perfect!! Thats too bad that your hubby wasn't able to be there and I hope he's feeling better! I'm so happy and proud of you :)

Jessica December 12, 2011 at 9:44 PM  

Such a beautiful baby! I'm so sorry to hear your hubby was sick. :(

Holly December 13, 2011 at 5:36 AM  

Wow, what a beautiful daughter! :)
I'm sorry your husband was sick, though. :(

Skylar Magazine December 13, 2011 at 2:00 PM  

That is a beautiful baby! Congratulations!


Krista December 14, 2011 at 3:33 PM  

Congrats again...that last pic of her is so beautiful!

The Presutti's December 16, 2011 at 4:47 PM  

Simple adorable! SO so happy for you! You are looking great too Momma! Beautiful family! Thanks for sharing your story! :)

P! December 16, 2011 at 4:49 PM  

SEAN!!!!! I've been gone soooo mcuh lately because of my big move in a couple weeks and finals at school and packing for vacation, but my God, I'm back and ECSTATIC!!! A MILLION CONGRATS TO YOU!! I was JUST saying a day or two ago to my hubby that I am obsessed with the name Natalie... I had NO idea that is what your daughter's name was going to be, so needless to say, I'm in AWE!! Soooo good for you and your hubby!! So much love, my friend, and I swear I'll try not to be such a stranger!! She's gorgeous and I absolutely cannot wait to see more. :)

Our Little Bubble December 16, 2011 at 8:32 PM  

Congrats new mommy! she is beautiful!!!

Playoutsidegal December 17, 2011 at 12:11 AM  

Congratulations again! Natalie is gorgeous, just like her mommy!! What a beautiful family you have! It's too bad about your hubby, but I think you have the right attitude - there's nothing that can change it, he has the rest of his life to get to know Natalie, and if he was that sick, he probably wouldn't have been an asset in the delivery room. I would've hurled if someone was puking near me and toilet stuff? Ewwwwww, no thanks. It's good he got there after you were done pushing baby out. You did well, Sean Marie!! Glad your sis and mom could be there for support.

Jessica January 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM  

Lovely pictures, and what a lovely family!